May 08, 2026

It's Watson's Stomach/Intestinal Tract

I deleted the post before this where I posted it late last night. This will just about Watson with a night and morning full of updates. As you see Walter has decided he is the main caretaker for Watson. 

Like I said last night for the past eight days it seemed like Watson was healed from whatever was causing him enough pain to cry out at times getting up and down. But last night right before I started writing the post I heard that gut wrenching sound from him out in the family room. The pain was back and I was assuming it was his hips and/or legs.

I made that mistake years ago with Stella finding out a few years later it wasn't her hips or legs but a tumor that had gotten bigger since her vet checkup. 

By 11:30pm it was so bad that I was considering getting him in the FJ someway, any way, and heading the the 24/7 emergency vet in Louisville two hours away or up to Indianapolis almost three hours away. Then he went to sleep for about 15 minutes until he sat up crying in pain. It went back and forth like that for the next hour.

He had walked outside but only stood in the dark. At that time it was much colder than it was this morning when we got up. Inside he headed to the bedroom dog bed and laid down without any pain. For the next hour he would get up as if to relieve some indigestion. It's the best way I can describe it. Then lay back down with no yelps and sleep.

That all changed a little after 1am where his cries out loud were every five minutes, then ten, then twelve.  He gets up on his own around 2am and heads outside. With a flashlight I can see he is trying to poop but can't. I walk back inside and see if he can without me watching.

I thought he had when he came back inside. He trotted like normal from the patio door to his new dog bed in the bedroom and went to sleep. But 30 minutes later the same thing. Kept standing up as if to relieve indigestion. No smells of gas so I could only assume indigestion.

Long story short, we get some sleep until 5am, then back until 615am. I was at Walmart early buying the cans of organic pumpkin that I have used in the past, not the pie stuff. When I walk inside he is standing in the kitchen. As I slap more than a normal dose into his bowl, he attacks it. He had turned down his breakfast so this was a good sign. 

I grabbed a scoop of kibble soaked it in water, added more pumpkin and some olive oil ... he ate that and all of it. He always goes outside after he eats but still no success. Came inside and went back to sleep and that is where Walter comes in the photos.

I am thinking he just needs one good bowel movement sometime today ... he has not cried out in pain since eating. He had been up and down, and outside a few times with no crying. While laying on his side he has stretched his legs out as far as possible, retracted them and went to sleep. 

It is a 100% better than what I was seeing and hearing last night at 11pm.

That's all from "the tropics" of Southern Indiana. Honestly I am not going to be around much to blog. Just not enough hours in the day to put a proper blog post together with photos.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear Watson hasn't been feeling good and hopefully he can take care of business and get back to his old self. Good Walter has stepped in to be his caretaker.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feeling sad for Watson tonight and hope he is doing better. It is so hard when they hurt and can't tell us what is wrong. Good he has you and Walter to watch over him Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to feel so helpless and frustrated - and angry - when our Husky was hurting and I couldn't fix it.

    ReplyDelete