January 13, 2023

A Surprise Snow


The two times I got up in the middle of the night, I would look out the window at my neighbors security light and could tell it was raining and the wind was howling. I didn't expect any rain but the last time the hounds came inside last night, it was cold outside and actually felt like snow was on the way as I stood on the patio. 

Leading the hounds and this morning, the dog to the patio first thing in the morning I didn't know there was any snow until I turned on the patio light. Watson and Henry loves the snow so they were right out in it. Walter didn't hesitate either. He has changed a little this year as he will go outside in bad weather. He did not before under any circumstances.


It didn't look like we had much from these photos but looking at the fence posts next door, it looked like about 2". Right now as I write this the temps are hovering around freezing so this isn't going away anytime soon.















Snow always seems to excite the bloodhound and the bloodhounds I had in the past. Watson wanted to do a little wrestling with Henry.





I alternate this with oatmeal every other day. I forgot until I made it that I was out of salsa and tomatoes, otherwise mushrooms and spinach are the norm. I am craving sugar in my coffee more than ever after a couple of weeks of tightening the foods I eat. I don't miss the salt but I do keep an eye on the sodium count that I get from other foods. Chronometer app breaks down all the food I eat into minerals, vitamins etc. I use the free version.

I see the price of eggs has gone up a lot out in California as they have here. I spent $4.79 the other day for Egg-Land Cage Free brown eggs. I always said I would stop buying milk as the prices rose a few years go. I never bought milk on a regular basis, just when I need it for a recipe. I'll probably do the same now with eggs. I read about the reasons for the high prices on eggs. I wonder if prices will come down after the number of chickens increase after all those lost from a virus? Or will they stay high from here on out?

I am sure like many of you, sometimes we get those postcards in the mail in small print, telling us we are part of a class action suit that someone filed. In all the years I have had those show up in my mailbox, I never was sent any check ... until this year.

Either the Indiana BMV or Arizona MVD (can't remember which one) sent me a lot of money for overcharging me in fees which I paid for registration and fees after a car/truck purchase. Then last month I received a check for more than I could believe from Toyota. I can't remember what the suit was about but it took place when I bought cars from them years ago. The highlight though was this week. For that infamous Equifax Breach, they sent me a whopping $5.21.

With the weather outside I am not sure what my plans are today, but I doubt it will be much.

It's cold today in "the tropics" of Southern Indiana.

8 comments:

  1. We are a bit cold here about 350 miles south of you but no snow yet this year. The tornadoes that clipped Decatur missed me by at least 4 miles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 4 miles is still pretty close with winds like that. This place has pretty mild winter with a short hiccup here and there.

      Delete
  2. YUCK, the snow. I had to laugh looking at the DOG on the edge of the deck... looks in deep thought of "should I risk a hip or stand right here"... Glad you and the boys are back. Really have missed you all. Watson is sure a tall boy... My is he big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it really is good to be back. Watson is going to be HUGE. I saw his parents went I went to choose a pup and they were much bigger than Stella or Sadie. Yes, Walter does a not of "analysis" before he does anything.

      Delete
  3. My Labs loved nothing better than running through fresh snow and then rolling in it. Fun times.

    I have never been an egg person nor a milk drinker - so saving some not buying two items. However, I checked at our family run market a couple of days ago and a carton of 18 eggs was $9.49.

    We start with rain again tomorrow and snow following the first of the week. We have had next to no snow so far, but rain has been another snow. From New Year's eve to this past weekend, I had about 9 inches in my "unofficial" rain gauge. Our lake is less than a foot from full and it has been many years since this happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW that's a lot of rain. But good to get your lake back to full.

      Delete
  4. Had to chuckle at your comment regarding not using sugar in your coffee— I like my coffee too & tried to manage my strong dark roast without & still didn’t like it after the two weeks when supposedly one is accustomed.So ,now I use honey & it’s a good deal more expensive but surely,healthier,lol.The animals look great in the snow & having a great time.Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 16 days of black coffee and I found my 2 cups per morning was down to 1/2c per morning. Months or last year I tried the Keto suggestion of Heavy Whipping Cream as a sub for sugar, that did not work either. I have decided this morning after talking to a friend that a couple of tsp of sugar for two cups of coffee isn't going to kill me since I don't use sugar for anything else. I use some sort of organic ... tannish sugar, forget the brand name. Yes, the HOUNDS LOVE the snow.

      Delete