January 06, 2022

Watson's First Snow


Watson's day started at 19° and no snow. Where was it? The forecast was for 1" to 3", with snow between daybreak and 11am. Henry and Walter experienced snow last year in Sierra Vista. The only difference is that snow would be gone within two hours after it stopped. This snow will be here longer but the rain this weekend will wash away any snow that is left. Like all the other hounds I have had, most likely the snow would energize him and of course since he eats everything, he will try to eat it.


About an hour after the first very very small flake ... it started to look more like snow, but not a lot of it.


From this side of the backyard, they can see the street and anyone walking by. This seems to be one of their favorite spots in the yard even when it's not snowing.

Walter decided to venture outside about 11:30am. He has to sniff everything as he did here.

It was still 19° at noon but luckily Watson came inside before the snow on his nose and the hanging drool did not freeze.

It started snowing harder after 1pm and an hour later it was basically finished for today's snow.

My new snow shovel came in handy. I will need to buy a new windshield ice scraper for the FJ. It was parked inside but I will eventually need a scraper. Something else to replace that I gave away when I moved west in 2019.

8 comments:

  1. Our Lionel loves eating the snow, too. Sometimes it's quite difficult to get him re-focused on what he's supposed to be doing outside...

    Renee (Aztec NM)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watson is pretty focused when he is out. He is led by his nose. He was well trained before I picked him at 8 weeks and has always gone to the patio door to be let out at any time of day or night. So that's good. It is so cold this morning, 5° that all three of them came running to the door when whey were finished.

      Delete
  2. Watson is HUGE. Henry looks so adorable, and THE DOG still makes me laugh. They all have such beautiful personalities. You have a full-time job and I have a feeling it is the best job you've ever had without actual money! We love those companions of yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might be getting overtime on this job right now. Henry and Watson are a team and they get into everything if I don't have counters cleared, tables cleared and nothing laying around. Henry is really a pretty basset hound and is the most stubborn hound I have ever had. Walter still monitors all activity in the house and Watson is getting older and more calmer.

      Delete
  3. My girls loved the snow and our Black Lab would stay out while we shoveled not wanting to go in where it was warm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My only concern is Watson staying out so long that he will stop, lift his paws due to frozen paws like Stella use to. I have explained to him that I cannot carry him back to the house if that happens, he is that heavy. Otherwise he would stay outside all day if he had his choice. It's interesting how most if not all dogs like playing in the snow.

      Delete
  4. As I sit out here on Dad's bench overlooking the pond this morning it's 32 degrees heading for 50. Your snow looks nice but but that's enough for me. Bring on spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring will be tomorrow when it's 41° and raining ... the snow will be gone. But I am definitely ready for spring.

      Delete