July 12, 2016

Early Evening Walks Are The Norm Now

With temperatures getting hot with a lot of humidity this time of year, if we don't get our morning walk in then we have to wait until after 7:30pm before it will be cool enough for the hounds. Tonight with the MLB All-Star game I wanted to get the walk in before that started, plus post the blog post. So we took off around 7:30pm while Heidi stayed inside to make sure the AC kept working okay.

Sadie is always excited to walk, she will demand them with her stare and it doesn't matter how hot it is outside to her. Needless to say she was happy we were walking tonight.

Even after the morning rain, the field was pretty dry. Stella found that same spot of the past week where she lets us get ahead before she will run to catch up. That run would catch up with her later as the hound walk progressed.

Something different recently, they have switched as they near the back of the field with the directions they head. Stella will always end up on the right corner but recently she veers left.

Sadie has already found something that she is sprinting to.

It never fails, if one see the other might have something better, then they are off to see what the other has found.

Perfect weather for growing corn so it's getting tall fast. You cannot see the turkey farm now from our normal spot to take photos. I'll use the AT&T tower to show future corn growth.

Sadie leaves Stella behind and sprints to me to catch up. She rarely lags behind for long on these walks.

Stella is on her way with a few stops in between.

They both walk the rest of the way. It is not as hot as it has been with a heat index of 85° when we left the house.

By the time they got near the yard both of them were ready to get back inside where the air was cold.

I have a fresh batch of ice tea made for the game tonight ... so I am off to watch that. This all-star baseball game is something I have watched every year since I was a kid but 8 years ago I knew whenever I watched it again I would not be able to forget that it was the night that Berta (bloodhound) passed toward the end of the game.

She had just been told she was in great shape for an 8 yr old bloodhound four days prior at her annual vet visit. She had never been sick, no injuries but she had something going on internally I didn't know about and the vet did not catch with his annual inspection. It was a little over a month later that I brought Sadie home as a 12 week old replacement.

Winston and Bertha were very close. He whined for days, looked for her, howled at times and had a mini hunger strike ... Sadie pulled him out of his mourning. At that time I only had two hounds.

Anyway, all is good in 'the tropics' of Southern Indiana.

No comments:

Post a Comment