February 04, 2022

Snow Arrives


When I left you yesterday I had some ice, it was raining ice droplets but nothing major. Then around 2:30pm things changed. It started snowing and didn't stop until around 7:30pm. I went to bed with snow icons on my weather map every hour until 8am this morning. That seemed strange for this southern area. Luckily it stopped soon after I checked the patio. Those paw prints were not even covered with snow when we woke up this morning.

All three dogs like the snow and ice, they love chewing ice even with a large bowl of water always available inside the garage. That distance from the garage to the kitchen floor is usually enough to capture the dripping from Henry's and Watson's jowls. Walter drinks his water inside most of the time, small dish in the mud room. This was late afternoon on Thursday.

A big day running and playing outside wore them out. Once I got up to get something to drink, Henry took my spot on the couch. It's hard to watch Netflix when you lose your seat.


A little after 5am I checked for the hounds and the dog outside since they were not standing at the patio door anxiously waiting to come back inside and sprint for their food dishes. They really do sprint too. 

I took this photo in the dark, no flash a little after 5am.


By 8am it was snowing again but it wouldn't last long.

At 8am I was outside in 19° weather to shovel the front porch, sidewalk, driveway and patio deck down to the ice. I thought if the sun would come out it might be enough to melt some of the ice to make it easier to clear the patio deck. It was in most spots, as I was back outside around noon to get this far. While I shoveled the hounds and the dog enjoyed the 25°. The hounds played while Water barked and attacked my snow shovel. He does not like snow shovels, rakes, vacuums, brooms, nor Swifer mops.

It felt awfully warm at 25°. I was out in my sheep lined house slippers, flannel shirt no coat clearing off the patio.

With the deck cleaned, lunch eaten and cold water in the garage, it was time to take off this afternoon with some deep snoring naps. The hounds and the dog, not me. We only had between 2"-3" of snow unlike central Indiana.

Another fine day in retirement here in "the tropics" of Southern Indiana.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely photos of your area. Hate the ice and especially black ice that you think is just a wet spot. I was a product called Sno-Melt on my deck and brick steps. It is environmentally safe and does not damage the bricks or deck like salt would. Great shots of the hounds and the dog sleeping on the sofa after their fun in the snow. My girls used to love playing in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to keep the two hounds inside and then hard to get them back inside in cold temps. I'll check out Snow-Melt, thanks for the tip. There is something about snow that really energizes them, even Walter.

      Delete
  2. I'm sure you know which ice or snow melt products are Pet Safe. Wouldn't want them to get anything dangerous on their paws or especially Eat anything bad & hurt them internally. Hopefully, the sun will shine bright & just melt everything away naturally. February might get rough - but I'm ready for Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also ready for spring but I have to admit, it was nice standing on the deck this morning, no coat, 39° drinking coffee. You might not believe this but I have never used any kind of ice melt anywhere I have lived. I thought I might here but only went to the mail box a couple of times across the icy sidewalk and driveway. I have seen snow in Indiana in the 3rd week of March that has been pretty deep but doesn't happen every year. I guess we will see but day by day we are getting closer to Spring.

      Delete