September 07, 2022

Why I Don't Blog Every Day

This was my day today and it will give a visual explanation why I don't have time to blog about the hounds and the dog every day like I did more than three years ago when I lived north of here and had four different hounds. Last May when I high pressure washed the driveway, sidewalk and front porch .... some of the mortar surface on the porch came apart and peeled off the porch. I knew then I had a new project on my list for the fall when the temps were cooler.

It probably looked good when they first applied it about 10 years ago but not now. I knew if it was not sticking to the original porch surface that I could not just patch the peeled off sections. I was going to take it all off, sand it, pressure wash again and then paint with good old fashion paint for concrete porches. Today I did more than I had planned and am way ahead of schedule. I used a combination of tools from an edger that turned out to be a great porch scraper, a hammer and 5" putting knife (chisel) for the hard spots and a hammer when I was mad after hitting my thumb with the hammer more times than I wanted.











The porch is clear of all the mortar surface. I will find a sander tomorrow, then pressure wash it. I will have to wait until next Monday to paint since rain is in the forecast Saturday and Monday. 

I will sleep well tonight here in 'the tropics' of southern Indiana.

10 comments:

  1. Looking at all the work you did on your porch re-construction I myself am now suffering from exhaustion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. And you know that I would be doing what you are doing, checking out all the stuff in a new to me car.

      Delete
  2. How would the epoxy floor coating work? Like the ones they put down on garage floor. Not that I'm trying to use you as a guinea pig for my front porch. Good luck with whatever you do. Vern in Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. That is something I had not thought about and I will check out that option. I know I liked the garage floor that was done that way in my house in Sierra Vista. Easy to keep clean too.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you. That red paint needs to come off or be covered up. I heard yesterday that it is red and did not come original with the house like I thought.

      Delete
  4. Huge project but know it will be worth it when you are finished - says me not doing the work!! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That long handle edger was the key. I removed a lot of the surface but I had to slam it hard into that thin edge for it to break up. Those last photos at the end of the porch around the post and in front of the porch was the 4" putty knife you see in one of the photos and a hammer. I didn't know if it was going come off or not.

      Delete
  5. I would make sure whatever I put down was textured. A wet-porch fall might not be a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It shows how long it has been since I used paint to paint concrete. I asked for some fine landscaping sand to mix with the paint and the lady smiled and pointed to the shelf above the one I pulled my paint from. They have paint now for porches, garage floors and concrete with the text built in !!!! Can you imagine that??? I laughed all the way to her counter as she set it up to be mixed with the color she had chosen to add.

      Delete