July 13, 2022

Walter's Bone Is Found

We had looked for weeks and still could not find Walter's bright orange REI bone that I bought in 2015 before the camping trip to Utah with Sadie, Winston and Heidi. The bright lime green bone is still missing. This was found while I was pulling Watson's bone out from under the chest of drawers in the bedroom. Walter was thrilled to get his bone back and was snorting as he licked it and chewed it.
As you can see from the lack of photos in this post, not a lot has been going on. In fact it is one of the most boring and unproductive Junes and Julys that I can ever remember. I don't know what it is. Could it be growing older although I refuse to accept that. Where is all the motivation I had just a few months ago when I bought paint for two rooms, patched holes left by past tv wall mounted brackets that the previous house owner took with them?


I have attended the Evansville Otters baseball games. Henry and I even started walking in the mornings from one end of the street to the other. He loves his walks. Watson at this time does not want to go on those walks right now due to the heat and Walter??? Walking was and is never part of his daily routine, ever.


It has been pretty dry here, so lawn mowing is no longer a weekly activity. When the hounds are inside enjoying the AC, they sleep more than normal as if the high 90°'s outside is zapping all of their energy. Henry never lets me forget what time it is for his afternoon lunch.

We did get some much needed rain last week. It didn't last long but was off and on, through the night while we slept. You will notice some yellow spots in the yard. Whereas years ago in the small house up north, the battle there was yard moles. Here it is the yellow spots from dog urine. Here is the mystery of the summer. Same food fed as in years 2015-2019. Same routines with water from the kitchen faucet and outside faucets. Same breed of dogs, except Walter. Between 2015 and 2019 there was never yellow spots in the yard from dog urine. To me, that means it is the water in this town. That is the only thing that has changed.

It only seems to be with Henry, so he is eating the supplements add to his food that is suppose to prevent killed grass and yellow spots in the yard from too much nitrogen. 


A light quiet rain view from the computer desk, with the window open.


They don't like when I am talking on the phone.

Henry's breeder tells me that his father Fred is the same way. They both think they are puppies and can climb up on our laps, then move further up where where he will try to lay on my chest with his head on my shoulder. Just like he did when he was 8 weeks old. But two years later and 70 pounds heavier, that is hard to do, so he is satisfied just being a lap dog.

One reason I joined Costco last week, years after I did not renew my membership, was because this pasta sauce was highly recommended by a friend. I am told that Rao's is an old Italian family restaurant in NYC. I tried the sauce last night for the first time and it was delicious.


The China supply chain for bicycles seems to have opened up for the local bicycle shop as well as one shop out in Sierra Vista, but only for mountain bikes. Road bikes are still hard to get for their inventories. Unlike I did out in Sierra Vista, I hardly ride my bikes here. That was a fear of mine when I thought of moving from one of the best bicycling places I had ever lived last May 2021. 

I thought last week that if I had the same mountain bike I had bought when I moved to AZ in June 2019, that would get me back on the road again. I could get on the bike with the same clothes I wear every summer day (cargo shorts, a t-shirt, and a ball cap) and just ride to nowhere in particular. It was a way I got to explore my new town in 2019. That lead to riding more as I got in better shape, then moving up to my road bike and increasing my rides from 6 miles up to 40 mile trips.

This shop had the exact model of mountain bike I had before. The surprise was, a new 2022 model was the same price as I paid for a new 2019 model, three years ago. For those that don't know or understand, when I ride my road or gravel bikes I wear the weird bicycle clothing you see in photos. They are more comfortable to ride with the bicycle shorts and jersey have a purpose. The shorts provide much better seat comfort and the jersey design keeps you cool in hot weather. It is simpler not to change clothes into bicycling clothing and sometimes that gets me out on the bike more than normal.

I walked out of the shop without buying the bike. I sold mine last year before I moved because I was riding my road and gravel bikes all the time. I know I would feel much much better getting back into my routine of riding my bike 3-5 days per week, physically and mentally. There is a great bike path that goes through the city and down along the Ohio River, for over 20 miles. I can pick up that bike path two miles from the house, riding on city streets to get there. There is also great riding on empty country roads just a few miles west of me, but I have to ride up and down some steep hills to get there.

Of course long time readers know that when I get bored ... I look online at cars for sale. LOL My friend in Phoenix is the same way. She sent me a text yesterday morning asking me if I knew what she had been doing ... looking at cars for sale online. Unlike me, she looks a lot but keeps what she has, a Toyota Tacoma.

So that is about it from "the tropics" of Southern Indiana.

2 comments: