I knocked off a few more items from my list that needed to get done. That's a good thing. A bad thing is I am starting to go back over all of my notes and spreadsheets and re-analyzing. Also looking at a different angle. I wasn't having doubt but I was thinking over my finances, how much of my savings do I want to dip into either for a rv purchase or perhaps to live on.
I have read budgets on other blogs, I have looked at my budget and also my expenses that I have kept track of the past 10 years on an Excel spreadsheet. I have a feeling that I will spend more than I plan while on the road. Sure, I can live like a hermit and keep all my expenses RVing as low as possible but I know there will always be something around the corner that will have to be fixed that is unexpected. Just like owning a house.
Would I be willing to workcamp a lot just to get myself on the road? I don't think so. When I leave for fulltime, I will not be wanting to work. Volunteer...yes! But not a job. I have one of those now that pays quite well and a house that is close to being paid for. So I can't really justify leaving a job and a house to get on the road, only to go back to a job (workcamping) to be financially fit while traveling. I cannot decide just how much of my savings I want to spend.
The ideal situation would be to sell my house, my sports car and all my furniture. Anything else give to goodwill. Then RV full-time. I might like keeping my house as a home base and RV part time, but I am really the type that I go all the way or not at all....not 1/2 time.
I had an older relative tell me this past week, to rv full-time now, because by the time I am 70 (in 10.5 yrs) I may not have the good health to travel. Her sister and brother in-law have been RVing fulltime and this winter is their last time. Due to health issues they will be selling their 40' motorhome and moving into a family owned condo.
I have heard something to that effect from more than a few people.
My weakness is "over analyzation" and when that happens, I stand still without moving in either direction.
I am starting to think my preparation may be longer than I had planned a few weeks ago and my departure date not until May 2014.
Still, no matter what the departure date turns out to be, I think this bloodhound could sleep about anywhere.