April 25, 2016

A War Against The Ticks

Well for someone that is a procrastinator, retired and lazy - but that was the plan ... a lot was accomplished today, as soon as I hit the publish key for this morning's post.

I loaded the hounds up and headed for our vet the next town over. They told me over the phone they were sold out of Sereto Collar but highly recommended NexGard. Plus they had a deal going on ... really an unbelievable deal.

BTW ... if I didn't have hounds, my next favorite breed is the Bulldog. They didn't have pictures of Bloodhounds nor Bassets on their product cover but they did have a Bulldog.

What was the deal?  I bought two each of the Heartgard and for a once per year deal ... I got two FREE doses of NexGard. That will give me a month to see if it works well enough to determine if I buy more in this heavily infested tick environment. I walked out with a payment of $18.90 and was expecting at least over $50 when I drove over.

I then sat down for a little Mahjong Deluxe, the best 99 cents I've ever spent. Each of the 4 sections have around 40 different games +/- a couple. I'm trying to get all ~160 of them completed in less than 3 minutes and 30 seconds. Today, after many months of trying, a few of those holding me up were done in less than 3 minutes and 20 seconds with one of them played under 2 minutes. I still have 3 of them that is over 4 minutes.

I was so motivated I guess after those two things happened ... free tick prevention and good games of Mahjong ... I attacked my dishes, finished those and then one of my favorite things, seriously, vacuuming. So during the commercials tonight while watching the Reds/Mets game I'll finish th dusting part of housework and call it a day.

After sleeping most of the afternoon, Sadie and Stella wanted to go outside early this evening but would not leave the yard ... yes, that is their new message to me that they want to go on a walk or they won't move.



Heidi wasn't enthused about going on any walk, let along getting off the couch, until her paws hit the field ... then she was off on a fast trot as I tried to unhook her leash. She led the group most of the way from start to finish.


Heavy gnat activity again tonight - even Heidi and Sadie were bothered by them.



They still had time to check out any scent traffic as they walked.




Heidi thinks she hears a gnat but isn't sure ... she imagines them next to her tail.  I think the skin color is looking pretty good today. I don't want to put on a lot of photos of her skin areas until there is time for the Wounded Warrior Ointment to work. So far I am happy with what I have seen.


While walking along the back of the field along the fence line before making the final turn home, Stella decided the walk tonight was a little too boring for her - she would rather play ... Sadie is not a multi-tasker so she was not to interested in playing while in the middle of her walk. Stella got the message.






Sadie joined up with Heidi and the four of us head back to the house at a pace that was slower than slow. Anytime I tried to pass Heidi, she would trot to stay in front of me - then slow down. All that room to walk and they wanted to walk on the path in front of me ... if I stopped they stopped.



I don't expect alarming results with NexGard. It will take a couple of days before the chemicals get into their systems. I've never been a fan of these chemicals in my hounds but the ticks are so bad this year I decided those chemicals were better than the alternative with the possible diseases they could get without the meds.

Windows are open, a cool breeze and a baseball game on tv ... a great night here in 'the tropics' of Southern Indiana.

No comments:

Post a Comment