May 03, 2015

Lake Greenwood


The weather in "the tropics" has been great lately. Today it was sunny, 80° with only 55% humidity. I decided I'd take a drive, get away from the house and do some local exploring with photographs included. The hounds had been fed around 1:15pm by popular demand, with Sadie jumping and doing 360's while Heidi barked and howled. Winston? He sat by his food bowl wagging his tail.

The plan was to take all three hounds with me. I've decided the more they ride and get in and out of the FJ, the faster they will learn the process so we can travel. By the time I had finished some things from this morning, they had gone outside for their after meal cruise and by the time I was ready to leave all three hounds were in a deep sleep, with Sadie snoring.

Why wake them, I decided to make this trip solo.  By the time I was at the bottom of the 80' driveway I had already changed my mind on which direction I was heading. I chose to turn due south instead of north. A few miles down the road is a large man made lake, a few tent camping spots, an RV park with full hook-ups and a small marina. Luckily the place was practically vacant, with only a couple of trucks parked with empty boat trailers. The place does not open until next Saturday the 9th of May.

It was a perfect afternoon to say the least.



Since all the facilities do not open until next Saturday, I had the whole place to my self. This marina is located about 1/3 from the eastern border of the lake. Water skiing is allowed but only miles away in the last 1/3 of the lake on the western side. Otherwise all the water you see is for sailing, fishing, canoes, kayaks and boating.

The small dock area on the left side will be filled with boats renting those spaces by the end of May. Currently they have about 4-5 pontoon boats on the water behind the shelter that are available to rent starting next weekend. By that time they will also have kayaks and canoes that can be rented.



Would have been a great day for sailing


Rentals
Am I reading the side of that boat right ... "Party Barge" ???  I better pass on the chance to rent that one ... LOL

Spaces will be filled by May 30

Across the dock area is the tent camping area. I didn't see more than 8-10 camping spots along this road. Almost all of the camping spots had a view of the lake. The grass for each spot wasn't mowed but probably will be this week before they open on Saturday. It was strange with only 6 days from opening and all the fire pits needed to be cleaned out.

I spent most of my afternoon with this view, sitting in the sun daydreaming, listening to the many birds around, the light breeze and at times water that was washing onshore after a boat passed. Without anyone around I could imagine the hounds sitting in the grass nearby unleashed. With people there the hounds would have to be leashed because they would want to visit everyone that was camping and would try to move from site to site ... they love people.









Sadie's best friend

It would be a challenge with Sadie because of the amount of squirrels, rabbits and birds that were around. The basset hounds I am not really concerned about. They would be more interested in meeting anyone that was walking by but not really into chasing other animals that may be in their area.

With miles of a narrow two lane road, around curves and up and over small steep hills, I have a hard time seeing how a 40' Class A can get around. Even the entry/exit into the small RV park was only one lane and very steep. The RV park was not one of the best I've seen on other blogs but it did have full hook-ups, a few washers and dryers, a shelter for pot-luck dinners and a small view of the lake. As you can see the park was all gravel .. grass was nowhere to be seen.



A total of 40 spots were jammed into this area. It looked cramped with only a few early campers. Some of the trailers looked as if they had been stored their for the winter, although when I talked to them last year, they didn't have any kind of storage available for trailers or Class C's nor Class A's.

A view from a tent camping spot
The lake and the camping area are a few miles from a very small grocery store but is surrounded by 100 square miles of some of the nicest land in southern Indiana. It has a feel of being off the grid.

One note on my diet ... I'm making some changes and in the very short time since I started last Friday, I have not had any indigestion nor bouts of acid reflux. Today is my third full day of making the changes and a few times I have had short periods of withdrawals. It's hard at times to get past those cravings, luckily the stuff I crave during that time is not located in my house.

As a test I am eliminating all grains, as far as fruit I am only eating melons and berries, and only a handful of almonds per day. Instead of oatmeal (caused indigestion) for breakfast I have added bacon and eggs. Instead of eating unlimited amounts of fruit and all kinds of fruit, I have changed that to only berries, melons and pears ... nothing else and a limited quantity those. No orange juice and no cranberry juice as they both caused heartburn.

Lunch is a lot of salad and sandwiches have been eliminated. Cheese will be decreased to a couple of slices per week ... NO ice cream (that's a killer).

I am also eliminating - fast food joints, cookies, candy, and soda. The only thing I am drinking is coffee, tea or water. If it is boxed, canned or packaged I will not buy it.

I know it's very very early in this experiment, only 3 days, but so far zero heartburn and acid reflux anytime. I spent a lot of time reading about different diets and have decided to modify from some of the information I've read. My goal is for the month of May. That length of time should get me on my way to a different way of eating.

Well it was great sitting out by the lake today. I'm going to make more local trips when the weather is good and blog about what I see in hopes of blogging a little more plus taking a lot more photos.

All three hounds are sitting looking at me as I type ... this time of day it only means one thing ... it's time for the daily hound walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment