May 07, 2015

It Happens Sometimes in Retirement

Like I use to tell my co-worker when she would complain about a "paper cut" on her finger ... "you knew the job was dangerous when you took it".

Retirement really isn't dangerous depending on what kind of hobbies you pursue. One thing that can happen when you are retired, even the best laid plans can change at the drop of a dime. You might wake up with a list of things  you want to get done today, but that doesn't always mean they will happen.

Such is the case for today, Thursday, May 7.

I stated yesterday today was going to be filled full of excitement, giving three different hounds a bath, manicure, clean ears .. all the dog maintenance. Like I said earlier in the week there are times my mind plays games with me and has something entirely different on the schedule.

Such was the case for today, Thursday, May 7.

During my first cup of coffee I told Heidi "today is bath day" ... so MY plans were still on time. While walking back to my computer with my 2nd cup of coffee, I glanced at my property tax bill due by May 11. It was at that point in time that "my brain" decided I would be on it's schedule and their schedule did NOT include baths for the hounds.

I threw on some clean clothes, brushed my teeth because I was headed for town to the courthouse to pay my property tax instead of doing the normal annual payment online. With the free parking on a side street, I'd save a whopping $2.95 in online fees for processing the payment.

Plus it gets me out of the house ... so I was feeling pretty good about the short mile or so trip to town. On the drive it felt like a Friday, then I saw on the iPhone it was Thursday. I thought that would mean a short line at the courthouse treasurer's office.

The line was short ... but it was also the slowest line I may have ever been in .. and I mean ever. Things move slow in Greene County in general but this was unbelievable. I even walked by the two people in front of me so I could see into the room and confirm there were live bodies behind the counter. There were, so that was at least a good sign.

Once again my eyes, just like this morning, caught some red print on the "Cash Only" sign on the corner ... It basically told me if I paid with a credit or debit card I would be charged a processing fee of $2.95 just like last year online. I guess my debit card isn't like cash after all.

So, just like that I walked back to my car and headed home to pay the property tax online including the fee. Of course I find out the Greene County Treasure's office never told anyone they had changed their website URL. The bookmark I had didn't work nor did the web address on the paper bill.

It was easy to find the new address, I just backspaced back to the .com part of the address and hit the enter key and wala ... the new website. Payment was fast and smooth and I had to wonder if I would have still be standing in line downtown?

BTW ... the fee online this year to process the payment had increased 85.4% and was now $5.47 this year. I figure that additional $2.52 I had to pay was worth not standing in a line that never moved.

By the time I finished that led into lunch, then Heidi and Sadie "demanded" to be fed their meal of Taste of the Wild's no grain duck and sweet potato blend. While spending time outside after their meal on such a nice day ... the three hounds and I voted to cancel the baths until further notice.

We didn't do one thing the rest of the day but hangout and enjoy the sunshine, the heat and drinking water.

Unless my eyes catch something off to the side and I can remained focused, I think we have a really good chance of getting those baths for  the hounds tomorrow, one day before the weekend, rain or shine.

This is what is nice about retirement ... it didn't matter what did or did not get done.

No comments:

Post a Comment