August 10, 2020

Another Visit To See The Pups

 

I arrived this morning for my 2nd puppy visit, about the same time as I did a few weeks ago. All 10 were sleeping because they had just finished breakfast. I quietly stepped into their box and found a seat on the shelf that went around the box. My pup was one of the first ones to wake up. I tapped him first by petting his head, then he woke up and realized what was going on. He walked over to me and I picked him up to talk. This picture is the way I left him, he was sleeping soundly.

I had hoped to take more photos of him this time and I got a few in. I was too busy petting and holding any of the pups that walked over to me for attention. I tried to take one while I was holding him but it was too close and didn't turn out well enough to look at. He is not the biggest in the litter but I was told he was the first one born. He will be mahogany and white, the same color as Winston ... with one little difference that is pretty cool.

Here he is wondering who is waking him up. I was just getting him use to what he will feel when Walter press his chin into him to walk up. That is how Walter wakes up Heidi or wants me to give him something.

The one major difference for a mahogany and white pup, they are usually just two colors but the breeder thinks he will keep his black tail. By this age you can usually tell what colors are going to eventually change. All the puppies did not shy away from getting some attention. Of course they have done a good job training them to use the doggie door, and they are socially adjusted with a lot of attention with the kids and their mom. A lot of pretty puppies in this litter.

The one to the right is the whitest basset hound I have ever seen. She was the first female chosen. He is sound to sleep but will Walter's loud snoring keep him awake???

I was too busy holding puppies during the time they were playing, running around and wrestling.


It looks like the water dish I have now will work. I might have to go back to two water dishes but they usually want the same one, just like a chew toy or bone. Like all the other hounds I have had over the years, they each have gotten their own Mexican blanket when they arrive. His is picked out and on the shelf ready to be used. I have a feeling that he will want Heidi's bed instead. 

Yes all three were sleeping with their heads on the water bowl. A little later that mahogany and white had it's nose drop into the water while it was sleeping. He was able to blow a few bubbles in the water while creating before water came back up his nose. Then he went right back to sleep.

As you can tell by the shoestrings some didn't think they should be tied and they pulled them out into a knot. I hid the others on the right foot because two puppies were determine to chew the plastic tips off.

As I was leaving one of their calves started to walk to the truck. I was about a half mile from the house on my way home. I was hoping he only wanted to check me out and not ram the side of my truck. He/she was a calf not full grown.

Life on a ranch .. 6 miles to pavement, kids are home schooled. All the puppies are adopted out right before calf season, then back to new puppies. That is looking North as I make my way back to the freeway.  It was a nice drive over with all the windows down but by the time I left around 10:30am, it was 101° and the AC was back on. 

I love all the scenery in the "Wild West" of Southeastern Arizona.

No comments:

Post a Comment