September 29, 2024

Water Company Excitement

With the predicted Hurricane surge hitting us this weekend, starting Friday ... I did all the yard work on Thursday. Besides mowing and trimming around the inside and outside of the fence along with the driveway and landscape edging ... I took the weedeater and buried it in the ditch that had formed where the Bradford Pear tree use to be. After they cut the tree down 3 years ago, they ground the stump but fill the hole back up with wood sawdust. I think covered it with topsoil and new grass seed. 

I wanted to get that ditch cleared out as much as possible so I could fill it with dirt. I put in 5 bags of topsoil and each bag was tampered down into the hole. I wasn't planting any grass seed due to the amount of train we were suppose to get. I just wanted the rain to settle the dirt before I can level the ground off with more dirt this week and plant new seed. A little less than 2" of rain 3.3" of rain in 72 hours and it is more dirt near ground level than I expected.

Temperatures dropped below our normal averages, down to 70° and later into the 60's. The rain was not heavy but steady, some heavy winds from the north for a change. So the trees were blowing to the left when I looked at them. If any of them had fallen, they would have fell parallel to the fence and cables. With the cool breeze through the open window, the hounds and dogs found it to be perfect sleeping weather.

By 11am Saturday all were in position for a day of college football. Many games are played at the same time and with my new YouTube tv I can watch a multiple of four games at once if I want. YouTube tv will give me different choices of those four games. Most of the time the games I am really interested in and are watched without the split screen are on at 11:00, 2:30, 6:00 and 9:30. 

I received an email from Directv yesterday offering me a two year price lock if I would come back. After a few weeks of using YouTube tv for $75 per month, Bally Sports is the only channels I did not get. They show the Reds games and their season is over after today. So that really doesn't matter.

There was a lot of small print to read and I knew somewhere in those small words would give me the cost for the GREAT DEALS to come back to Directv. I had been paying $144.99 before a $25 discount for the Choice package and their deal was going to give that to me for $115.88, guaranteed for two years. LOL.

That $115 might look like quite a savings but for the past year with discounts to stay my total bill had been $121 including extra fees for the Sports Package. 

With Ava taking Watson's seat yesterday, the smaller couch, there was only one available spot on the couch next to me but a small one. I was sitting on one end of the couch and Henry had moved to the other end during a commercial. Like past bloodhounds I have had, that one seat in the middle was just enough for him to squeeze into.

I think he expected me to get up so he would have enough room to lie down. He didn't move nor change his look for well over a few minutes seeing if he could convince me to give him my seat. When that didn't happen he jumped off moved to the living room floor, a new spot of his.

By the 2:30pm game, seats had been switched and with it still raining straight down constantly but not hard, the hounds and the dogs were not going outside. 

The rain was a good test for the backyard since there was just so much bare dirt with a combination of the heatwave killing the grass/weeds and what grass Ava had be scratching out of the ground to expose the roots. I did have some standing water in those low or bare spots. I was planning to fill those with new dirt and grass seed after this large amount of rain were were going to get. 2" of rain would not have been good for new grass seed. It was good to see the low spots I had fixed the past three years did not have any standing water.

I may have bought that crate for Ava to use but Walter never hesitates to use it during the day for taking his naps.

This gives you a pretty good idea just how much Ava has grown since I picked her up in early April. 

With Alabama leading Georgia 30-7 at halftime, Walter, Henry and Ava had lost interest in the game. 

As you can see they didn't move much the 2nd half of the game and after what I saw as the most exciting three minutes of football in my life and the last three minutes of the game. They did not even move when I got up to get a bag of trail mix for the 9:30pm games ... two I was going to watch at the same time.

If you look real close you can see Walter sleeping with this tongue out. 


I admit my heart rate might have jumped a little when I saw this truck pull up in my front yard and two men getting out of the truck to look at my yard. I immediately thought of all those mailers I get to buy insurance for water pipe damage from the meter to my house. Luckily they were waving some sort of wand along my yard and my neighbors yard more closely. What were they looking for?




My water meter is that brown areas you see in the lower center. It is being covered by the moving ground and was covered with grass on Thursday. I dipped my weed eater into that and cut it all out so the top of the meter's computer on top was showing. I forgot to take the excess grass I had cut with me. What does that yellow wand do?



I was pretty happy to see they were not digging up any part of my yard nor my neighbor's driveway but all the truck traffic was heading up at the end of the street. It tees there and as I type this it sounds like they are doing some sort of drilling in that area.


Of course all four of the watch dogs woke up, sprinted from their sleeping positions in the computer room outside. Watson let them know he wasn't happy with them being so close to his yard. For once I didn't stop him thinking it might help keeping them from digging things up. I have had enough yard damage this summer which is still not fully repaired.

All the noise seems to be behind that tree. 


They have about every kind of truck parked up further to the right of that bright orange flag. Must have a break in the water line somewhere, but mine water is normal. Every time those beeping signals sound off when a truck is backing up sets Walter off into his protection huffing and puffing mode, not quite a bark. Watson did not even wake up during the last signals. 

A few weeks ago I ran out of sugar and decided I wouldn't buy anymore, going 'cold turkey' with no sugar policy and black coffee. It has not gone well. I rarely drink more than a half cup of coffee now days. So the question of the day was, do I like the sweet taste more than I like the taste of coffee itself?

If I weren't so lazy I'd go back the small package of coffee and get back to my 2tsp per cup. For some reason I am always tired on Sundays. I assume it is from all the sitting watching football on Saturdays. 

No pictures but I can hear the backhoe shaking his basket out into the dump truck. 

Well not much to report from "the tropics" of Southern Indiana today ... too lazy of a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment