August 26, 2015

A Heidi Semi-Update & Many Hound Photos

I would have posted this sooner but like usual, I get distracted in the middle of something and end up going a different direction. In this case it was downloading only a couple of photos from my iPhone when I noticed just how little memory I had left in my 16Gb iPhone 5S.

I don't watch movies or play games on my iPhone so I never really considered buying one with more memory and will probably not upgrade next year from this iPhone 5S. It does everything I need, even with only 16Gb.

So after seeing just a few Gb's left of memory, I've spent the past couple of hours playing around in iTunes deleting apps, deleting all of my photos since they are backed up on my iMac plus an external hard drive and then synching the phone with the computer backup.

So this may end up being a pretty long post as I am in kind of a "rambling" mood. I have a lot of photos from today's walk and a few from Heidi's latest skin condition which seems to be getting better since her bath a few days ago with a different shampoo.

We will get to Heidi first. As you can see from the photos there seems to be some healing going on. There is also hair growing back in places where a vet told me in March not to expect it. It's hard to tell when a basset hound is energetic but she has been doing something different than the past 7-9 months of not feeling so well. A lot of these spots were red and raw just last month. These photos were taken after her bath on Sunday.






That starts with her going outside in the morning between 6 - 6:30am with Winston and Sadie. She has done that the past three days. She also goes outside with them mid day and has been laying in the sun in the backyard. I've been checking her skin after that to see if the grass is the cause of her skin rashes, so far it isn't. Her appetite has never been a problem.

With the change of shampoo and over 30 days of eating the Earthborn No Grain Great Plains Feast I have seen a change in the texture of her skin, less redness now 3 days in a row and she seems to less inclined to chew at her paws and rear legs. Since I wanted to check just these two options of the shampoo and food, I have not applied any kind of K9 Klear Up cream, no liquid Zinc Oxide from the vet, no diaper rash cream with zinc oxide that babies love, no benadryl spray ... just nothing but bare skin.

As of Wednesday night as I write this she does not need a bath since her last bath 3 days ago. Nails were trimmed back a lot or as far as possible without having them bleed. Winston rolled on his back to have his toenails done. Sadie and I are still in negotiations about cutting her nails but at least she getting her aerobics in by sprinting around inside the house just at the sight of those nail clippers.

After this bag of Plains Feast is finished, I am changing to a different Earthborn blend with Lamb Meal as the #1 ingredient instead of Bison. I am also making a dog food change for Winston and Sadie. In the past I have always fed the "large breed" blend of foods the whole time. I decided to move to a Senior Blend by Fromm. This has great ingredients with less fat and less protein.

Sadie needs to lose more weight which will be better for her joints as she gets older. Winston is in good shape weight wise but I wanted to treat him to some different protein sources in his older years as he moves to 12 years old next May. It will have Duck as the #1 ingredient, with chicken and chicken meal, some lamb lower down the list along with menhaden fish meal at #6.

Heidi barked yesterday when I asked if she wanted to go for a walk. She led the pack but I didn't have my camera with me. Today when I asked if she wanted to go on the walk, she thumped her tail in the curled up position saying she was going to take a siesta. I had the camera on the walk today as both hounds were off the leash the whole time. I did carry their retractable leashes just in case they wanted to run off on me.

Winston goes at his own pace. At times will fall way behind and then will come charging in a short burst of speed to catch up with us. It might be a game to him, I'm not sure. I'll list the photos with some captions.

On a side note for the past few weeks, 3-4 weeks in fact, I've been fighting off one of my demons .... rescuing dogs.

Shocked eh? Why on earth would I need or want a 4th hound. Especially since it would have been a large bloodhound. I will not go into the story why she is available but she looks just like Sadie and is a couple of years younger. I did a LOT of thinking on that, plus had a few sleepless nights. A few weeks ago it was a 6 month old male bloodhound that I wanted to help. A few weeks ago I was thinking of a basset hound from the GABR that is listed in the upper left of this blog.

I never know why I get into these moods to get another hound. I've been reminded more than once that "you cannot help every dog in need". I also knew or was pretty sure that if a 4th hound would be added, the chances of traveling would be decreased. I wouldn't want to travel with 4 hounds. It would be doable like anything else but very very hard to manage. Even at home it would be hard to manage.

This past weekend it was a 5yr fixed red female bloodhound. I have no doubt that her and Sadie would have made a great pair. But then again, Sadie knows she is the leader of the current pack so it might have been a problem with an additional bloodhound. So I went from telling the owner I was on the way to pick her up the next day, to having a sleepless night and a lot of 2nd thoughts the next morning .. so I knew it was not a good move. I let them know that I would not be taking their bloodhound off their hands.

Many people find out the hard and sad way that bloodhounds are great as small puppies. During their growth periods they get more funny (obnoxious), stronger than ever, and can out eat a horse. Then they want to get rid of them. I guess it's like any other breed though ... thousands all over the country needing a new home.

So anyway ... 3 hounds is what I have and will stay with. It's temping to help a hound out but in my case you can say a 100 rescued hounds is not enough and 4 of them is too many.

Here are photos from our walk today.

A Slow Steady Pace

Waiting For Winston

A Slower Pace

Waiting For Winston AGAIN!!

No Doubt A Deer Sleeping Spot

Just Cruzin'

Out Front On Her Own

Not Half Way Yet And Getting Slower

No Worries - I Caught Ya

Hold It - Something's Been Here

Go Ahead I'll Meet You Later

Full Out Basset Sprint - Ears Up All The Way

Sprint Is Over

Another Daily Walk Comes To An End
Here are a few photos of the trees starting to change color only in August.


I thought this photo was neat because with all the green, that orange highway warning sign to stop ahead stood out from a distance. They are rebuilding a bridge just south of that sign.




Another day of great weather is ending here in "the tropics".


After my dental appointment on Monday for full X-rays and cleaning where I had a report of no cavities ... I treated myself to one of these at 5guys Burgers.



No comments:

Post a Comment