May 28, 2017

Farmers Try A 2nd Time


As the hounds and I woke up from our mid-day siesta around 3:30pm on Saturday, I noticed I had missed all the action while sleeping, dreaming to the point of not knowing if it was nighttime or what. With rain tomorrow they were going to disc some of their field and re-plant that corn the floods washed out a few weeks ago.


I had just let the hounds back inside and was checking for emails and texts back in the computer room when I heard them starting their tractors.


With two working at the same time it would not take long, even though this field that looks so small, it curves to the right around the trees and goes for almost a half mile behind the 2-3 houses across the highway.


With them both hugging the side of the front field they were going to leave that corn the way it was since it was not affected by the water. Not being a farmer I found it interesting to see how they would plant new corn in rows lined up with their corn already growing. The rows would have to go the same direction for picking in the fall.



It's just like mowing your lawn ... just a little bigger 'mower' and a little more 'lawn'.


With their planter waiting in the wings to use when they were finished tilling up their previous planting, I could tell they were as aware of tomorrow's weather as I was. They couldn't wait any longer and doing the same thing twice has to be expensive.


A couple of hours later as we headed out for our walk, they were in the planting mode and from my eye, those rows looked close enough to get the job done smoothly next fall when they run their combine through the field.



The local news said the other night that before the floods a few weeks ago, only 56% of corn had been planted in the state of Indiana due to the wetter than normal spring weather. With many other farmers in the state losing their crop that was planted before the floods, they did not discuss financial losses but it had to be huge. Farming is hard work, sometimes dictated by mother nature.


I'll not include a picture from the past in this post, I wanted to keep it just on this farming operation of today.

No comments:

Post a Comment