May 04, 2017

Trojan Horse File Source Found -- A Shocker !!

I normally would have waited to post something like this instead of my 3rd post of the day but what I found out about 15 minutes ago was a shock and may help others that have had any crashing problems in the past with their computer. I didn't want to wait to post it and I didn't want to add it to a previous post as an editor note.

In the previous post today, I said I had found a possible source for the crash of my computer from a program that installed itself in my computer. I am not sure how long ago this happened. After Bitdefender ran it's deep system scan this morning, it found a file called IntallMiez.1 and quarantined it. Removed it from my system so it would not and could not execute.

Back in my PC days here at home, prior to October 2010, anytime I found a virus I would delete that file from my system manually.

So today the more I thought about it I decided I just didn't want it quarantined but I wanted to delete the file. This morning Bitdefender had given me the path of the file removed.

This afternoon when I went into the quarantined section inside Bitdefender, to remove the file this is what was listed:

S-DCDATA-00209MF-ALLIN-32BIT_.dmg

Before I ever delete a file like this, or any file in my registry I will google that file name to see if it is a required file that works making the system run. Not all files quarantined are bad files.

In this case I was shocked with what showed up on my Google search for that file name.

It is a Nikon installer file. Someway that trojan horse file IntallMiez.1 had attached itself to the Nikon installer file to make it's way into my hard drive. The major complaint on Google search along with those in a Mac Forum called Mac Rumors ... was the Nikon file would not finish installing.

The file was an update for the Lens Distortion Firmware. Many Nikon users were having problems getting the file to load. I then remembered downloading a firmware update for the Lens Distortion last fall.

How weird is all of this?

I hope this may help some people instead of confuse them. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer the best I can or point you in the right direction.

And yes, as of 6pm, it was still raining and had not stopped once all afternoon.

My computer mystery has been solved here in 'the tropics' of southern Indiana.

No comments:

Post a Comment