April 10, 2019

Heidi Loves 73°

Tuesday's weather was fantastic and one that Heidi did not miss. It was getting pretty hot by lunch so neither her or Stella stayed outside too long. They are not in shape for 'summer heat' I guess. While she slept inside with all the widows open I was able to mow the yard for the first time this year and found enough energy afterward to wash my car. Stella spent the time outside sleeping under the sunshine.
I didn't know what she would do Tuesday afternoon. The day prior, without the camera, she stopped before she got to the first corner and turned around to head home. So it was going to be interesting to see what she would do.
She likes to investigate scent probably more than Stella does. She is slower in her process and reminds me a lot of Winston as he would take all day to finished the walk. So it's normal that she gets left behind to do her own thing. Other times she will do all she can to lead Stella and I through the field while staying in front.

Not on Tuesday.
By this time she has had to stop twice to really get the data left by the scent. In fact she never raised her head when I called her. She also didn't show any signs of wanting to continue with Stella and I.
Did she stop and turn around because I had left her behind?
By this next photo, Stella and I was on the return home. We had cut our walk short because Stella wasn't in the mood to walk either. She sat down a few times, did nothing ... so we turned around and followed the path home. There was Heidi up ahead not 10' away from the area we had left her.
She was happy to see us, turned immediately and started trotting away from me. She was heading home and most likely back inside to sleep on the couch while I read the book Top Gun.

The way she acts and reacts sometimes I get the feeling that she has lost some of her eyesight. There is also something going on with her hearing as she is startled sometimes with the smallest of noises, jumps off the couch and sprints away.
It was a book I couldn't put down, it was that good. I had planned to add a second post of these afternoon photos plus ones with Stella but I couldn't stop reading Top Gun. By 6:30pm I had moved from my chair outside to the couch inside and continued reading until I finished it, three hours later.

I don't think Heidi moved an inch while I read those last three hours. She had squeezed into a spot between Stella and I and slept the night away.

It was beautiful weather Tuesday in 'the tropics' of Southern Indiana.

No comments:

Post a Comment