January 16, 2018

Brutal Cold Temperatures


Yes, there are other places where it is much more colder than here, their snow is deeper than here but as we stepped outside at 10am I could tell the temperature was brutal. WeatherBug was telling me it was -2° and a wind chill of -15° and we had no plans of staying outside long ... we were outside for 1 minute and 18 seconds.


Within that time Sadie never moved off of 'Winston's Patio' and Stella had peed but was standing still not moving. By the time she started walking toward the house not 20' away she lifted her rear paw and stopped walking because she was freezing. I had my down parka on with a hood, gloves and was warm ... my face was freezing in less than 2 minutes outside.


Notice the small bird tracks.


I had nor have any plans of taking a walk today. Scanning different weather sites it is not going to get higher than 6° but the wind chill will be below zero all day today. Yet, even in weather like this the hounds have to dump their tanks, even Heidi. So the trips outside will be few and far between but within their limits of 'holding it'. In no instance will we be staying outside longer than we did this morning.


Consequently there is not a lot going to happen around here today. But ... the sunshine is brighter than ever, the house is warm inside and that slow drip of water in the bathroom faucet helps keeping the water pipes from freezing. In the 43 years the house has been here, in winters worse than this year there is no history of the water pipes busting. I hope I have not jinxed myself typing that.


I glanced in the direction that Stella was looking and didn't see any kind of human life outside anywhere. I saw no birds, deer, cats or dogs. She must have heard something.


A few seconds later she started the slow walk to the house. You can see her lifting that rear paw.


Then she stopped walking and I was sure that I was going to have to carry her into the house. Sadie didn't care and was more interested in something below the snow. Once I said "lets go" she was more than happy to get back inside.


Late yesterday afternoon we had a visitor ... a cardinal ... the state bird and the nickname of the local high school athletics.

To stay warm I have been looking at real estate and rentals in Arizona and New Mexico. Plus I am counting the days until Saturday when the temps are in the 30's and mid 50's by Sunday. Today's routine will more of the same inside .. reading, 2048 game, more Mahjong, and internet surfing.

The sun is out and bright today here in 'the tropics' of Southern Indiana at 0°.

No comments:

Post a Comment