April 08, 2024

Eclipse Day 2024


The day did not start promising if we were going to be able to see the eclipse directly in its path. Fogged in until 9:30am, then it was bright and sunny. Yet seeing the dense fog I had to wonder a little if the local weathermen and women had made a miscalculation on sun visibility.


I wasn't planning on watching the eclipse because I had been too lazy to pick up a pair of eclipse glasses.  When my friend told me last night they, including his daughter and grandkids, were going to walk down their hilly narrow street to a cornfield nearby to see it ... I told him my patio was much safer and the sun would be in the open sky right above us.

So he brought extra glasses, his wife, daughter and grandkids to watch the eclipse from the patio. The plan was to keep the hounds and dogs in the garage, cool floor, cool temps and only low windows on the north side of the garage away from the sun for their own eclipse safety. 

You can see the hounds and the dogs were pretty excited with anticipation of total sun blockout a couple of hours away.  Ha Ha






While the hounds and dogs prepared for the eclipse, up the street Cara and her two daughters were preparing to watch also. Very important to make sure your eclipse sunglasses fit.




They loved meeting Ava yesterday while they were out for their walk by my house. Ava was the perfect puppy around new people. She was calm and unlike Watson, she didn't feel the need to jump on people for attention.

Around 12:45pm CT, with the dogs and hounds safely in the garage ... we took the primo spots on the patio to see what everybody was talking about. Would it get completely dark ??? Our peak time was going to be at 2:02pm CT ... IT WAS AMAZING ... and my friends saved the day by bringing me some glasses to use.


That's me, the tour guide. I forgot my ball cap but it proved not to be a problem at 73°. Plus it was to get cooler as the sun was blocked. 




ALL of these photos were taken by my friend by placing the eclipse glasses over the lens of his iPhone. I think it worked out pretty well ... there is a lot of them and then LOTS of puppy photos after the eclipse was over.

These photos are in order of the different stages of the eclipse. Just like my sister north of me and friends a 100 miles north of me, all of our neighborhoods had people cheering and lighting off fireworks when the sun was completely hidden.





If you place a colander at an angle toward the eclipse this is what shows up on the patio. A better photo is also in the next few photos.




You will notice the small back dots, making it look like black-eyed peas as the eclipse reflects through the colander. Remember that idea for the eclipse in 2044. LOL





Security lights all over the neighborhood were lighting up automatically when it started to get dark. 





After the official time of the eclipse not only passing the sun completely but the ending ... the hounds and dogs were pretty excited to get out of the garage, with some time in the computer room for lunch and an after eclipse workout in the backyard. For those that have asked me if I thought the eclipse might affect the hounds and dogs like a storm might ... the answer was no.















By late afternoon the hounds and the dogs were totally exhausted with "eclipse excitement" ... 




It was a "Historic Day" in 'the tropics' of Southern Indiana.

4 comments:

  1. You had a deck full of folks watching the eclipse today. Good pictures and your new puppy looks so sweet.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

  2. What an exciting day for you and your friends. Didn't have much to see here, though the sky slightly darkened for a while. So nice to see the gang getting along well and having fun.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ava is the easiest puppy I have ever had to train. Three days and she was already in the same routines as the others. Goes outside on her own when the door is open, otherwise will stand there until I open the door and then runs straight out in the yard. Walter is irritated and the two hounds play with her until they drop.

      Delete