April 17, 2024

I'm In A Rut

For some reason in all this great weather, Walter and I rarely get out of the computer room. There the windows are open, a cool breeze keeps the ceiling fan off. He sleeps and I read the internet. I have not captured that annual spring cleaning feeling that I always get and end up doing a deep clean throughout the house. Why? Where's the energy?


It was normal routine for the hounds and the dogs. No new commands learned today by Ava but she is doing what she has learned very well. There have been some puppy slip ups but one thing different so far, she chews on only what is allowed. She has learned that late afternoon/early evening if I am standing on the patio step to see what Watson is baying out ... it is milk bone time. Not the brand name bones but the large bones I buy at Costco with the same concept as Milk Bone. She will run as fast as Henry toward the patio door for those. Ava is a very intelligent student.


None of the photos are edited tonight. That just shows how lazy I have been. I've been living proof that being single in retirement, you can do absolutely nothing day after day and get away with it, plus feel good about it. I did mow the backyard yesterday because it was suppose to rain last night. It did storm and it looks like I could mow the grass again today.






Can you see how much she has grown in almost the two weeks I've had her?? If not, here is a photo from April 6th. 


Not a very good comparison now that I look at it.





Henry puts up with a lot of puppy stuff ... never gets angry though.


I had to talk Walter into coming outside with me. We did have our daily morning wrestling match early this morning so he is back to normal just not real active. 


All of these yard photos from 2022 were taken in April also. I am not sure what happened but the first year we lived here I lost the backyard grass for some reason. One of the landscape people looked at it and thought there was a fungus in the yard, from what, no one knew. So in May/June 2022 I laid more topsoil and planted more grass seed. I did that again to the low spots in 2023. Here are the comparisons to just this afternoon.



I did not know the backyard flooded before I bought the house. Nothing was on the House Disclosure list but both my next door neighbors who have lived here their whole lives, said it would get like a lake in my backyard. What grass was here, died after the low spot flooding in 2021, 2022. I did this process of more soil, more seed and more straw in 2022 and 2023. 


I have made some headway getting it back to all grass. More work is needed this summer. I am going to rake out and pull out all the roots to the zoysia grass that are the brown/tan spots, add more soil more seed and straw later in May. 


April 21, 2022


Those remaining bare spots will be filled with top soil new need and a cover. Those are where Walter's urine was killing the grass, a major problem two to three years ago but so far no signs of that in 2024. I think it took a couple of years for all that new grass seed to build itself up into what it is now.

You have to wonder though if Henry and Walter don't enjoy those hot lawn rocks in 2021 though for their siestas every day outside in good weather. That is Heidi and Stella next to them.


Another beautiful day here in 'the tropics' of Southern Indiana.

2 comments:

  1. A great picture from your house in AZ. A good photo of Ava standing on Henry's ear and he just lays there. Henry is a good boy !
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Henry's the best. I miss that hot sun I use to feel in AZ. That burning hot feeling.

      Delete