July 19, 2024

An Interesting Day As Ava Heals


The interest all started last night after spending some time outside in the cool weather. I needed to fix dinner, Ava still needed leashed or confined. So she helped me out. While standing in the kitchen I decided to let go of the leash and see where she would go and if she would try to trot. She walked in the crate and laid down, she had made the choice for me.


Of course any time any hound or dog is inside any crate, not just his, Walter gets upset. Always has and probably always will. From Henry as a puppy to full grown Samson ... Walter would try to break them out. Any bent bars you see on this new crate is from him squeezing them with his jaws for them to escape. Of course as Walter is surveying the crate for possible escape points, he is panting. Like high anxiety panting.


Seeing that she didn't mind spending time in the crate I had found a new place for her to be confined to heal while I watch a game on tv or a movie. Yes, she did lay on the couch last night later but she is feeling her normal self now so she is always on the lookout for Henry and Watson to play, to run inside etc. She has to walk, under leash control until the 27th.



Ever since I reset the phone to factory settings to make the service change from AT&T to Spectrum, I catch things looking different or acting different. In this case I cannot get the flash to work on my iPhone. Other stuff, the color of text on iMessage is a different color of green and blue. I still have not found over 1,000 photos that I backed up before the reset.


This morning she seemed to be back to her old self only two days after her surgery but as tempting as it was, I still kept her within the vet's instructions. 8 more days to go.


I needed to get away from the computer this morning and for some reason there seems to be a lot of news to watch on tv any time of day, morning or night. When we walked back inside she ran for the crate and I was able to beat Walter, as I closed the door with only Ava inside. What did he do ... started chewing on the lower door latch and finally got it unlatched!!! ... I knew it was him by all the bulldog drool on the door latch.


She had bones to chew but I caught her a few times chewing on the blanket. Whenever I said "no" she would immediately stop. Whenever I see a dog chewing on a blanket I think of Watsons emergency intestinal surgery at 5 months old when he chewed his Mexican blanket that he was sleeping on. Paranoid of another vet bill I guess.


With all four sleeping, I left the tv on for them and snuck out for some Drive-Thru lunch. By the time I pulled back into the garage Ava was letting me know she was tired of the crate.

My Apple Watch or phone where my watch is synchronized ... tells me my steps per day are much much more than last week. I don't track my steps nor do I care but it was some interesting data.





I get home with my lunch and see that she has chewed through the smaller 6' leash. Not as thick as my other leashes. Luckily over the years I have collected plenty of leashes and dog collars if one is needed.



I am tired and can't do much more that this. Looks like Walter and Ava look the way I feel.  Overall it is easier than I thought it would be to keep Ava safe and in the recovery mode. She does not mind the leash ... oh, the time I left her in the computer room while I mowed the yard, she found her cone and had chewed a long the top edge of that.

I accidentally burned my head with the sun the other day, so much it is hard to sleep ... I'm grumpy to say the least with that.

Otherwise another nice day here in "the tropics" of Southern Indiana.

3 comments:

  1. Hope your sunburn gets better and good to hear that Ava is doing well !
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please wear your cap or a brimmed hat. My husband was a dermatological surgeon and he never went out without his head covered. A close friend of ours didn't always wear a cap/hat and being very fair he had many skin cancers. Eight years ago he was diagnosed with melanoma (top of his head). He had excellent care at UCLA, many surgeries, treatments, etc. but the melanoma won and he passed a year ago. Sunscreen and a hat/cap are your friend. Off my soap box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sad thing is I LIVE in a baseball cap. I had gone outside to get Watson back inside while the AT&T guy worked by my fence. After I got Watson inside I shut the door and returned to talk with the technician. We talked way longer than I even planned on and had to even excuse myself to head out to get Ava ... I wasn't planning to be outside longer than a minute to corral Watson and bring him back inside. Your soap box is okay

      Delete