September 17, 2015

Some Answers To Email Questions

Last night sometime I thought I'd write today's post with all the answers I promised yesterday, in advance. I started writing on Microsoft Word but it became so detailed with a lot of repeated information from past blog posts that it ended up being 7 pages long and over 3,000 words.

Much too large to post as a blog. I hope today's writing will be shorter, but you know how it is when I start rambling.



I have changed the comment setting so anonymous readers can comment now. Due to all the spam I turned that option off months ago but will now monitor comments on posts over 7 days old. So comment away.



Winston Acting As Referee




Short Rest Period

Back At It After A Short Break
This morning I thought I'd answer a lot of those questions asked in the many emails I've been getting recently about the blog. Some of this will explain what the plans are for the regular blog readers that don't know the history of the blog. I am going to try to explain in outline format. I am also going to include photos of the hounds today like usual but keep in mind that my blog post today is mostly about the "whys" and "RVs", so the photos will have nothing to do with the subject matter.

I might have to write this in bits and pieces today because Sadie has started the day off by rolling in something in the field around 7:30am that really stinks!!! You know, the bloodhound that hates having her nails trimmed and even hates the word "bath" more than anything. They found something here but when I looked around that area, I saw nothing nor smelled anything.



Unless I can find a solution on the internet, she will be getting a bath outside later today when it's sunny and in the 80's. I can tell today could be really interesting. I need more coffee first.

Here are some of the questions I've been receiving by email. Some I answered by replying to their email but there got to be so many emails I decided to post the answers in a blog post.

1. What happened to your RV plans and traveling?

Really nothing has changed except the season. If you look on the blog archive on the right sidebar, each period of the year has very similar actions. I really like the fall in "the tropics" therefore the urge to travel is very small if any at all. So it's just that time of year right now.

The new bloodhound that brings the hound total to four has nothing to do with lack of travel plans or travel posts. Over the past four years of reading forums, reading blogs, looking at RVs, sitting in and test driving RVs and even buying a Class C so it could sit for the winter ... I realized some things:

  • The best travel for the hounds and I would be in a Class A with slides.
    • To buy a Class A I would have to sell my house.
  • A Class A with a toad is not possible with either of the two vehicles I have and like.
    • The Mini Cooper is an automatic so it would need to be towed in a trailer.
    • The Toyota FJ is an automatic and still cannot be towed wheels down as a manual.
  • I prefer to be off the grid as much as possible w/solar power.
    • I'm not a fan of staying in RV parks or campgrounds.
    • I want to go where a Class A, a Class C and even a trailer at times cannot go.
  • The FJ limits my trailer size to small and smaller.
    • I'd prefer a bare bones designed 6x12 cargo trailer to be used more as a hard shell tent rather than a customized trailer.
    • I have no plans to trade or sell the Toyota FJ
  • I can still travel with 4 hounds like I did with 3 hounds in June 2015.
As you know I was about to leave again last July when Heidi had blood in her stool on the morning I was headed to REI to buy a roof top carrier for more storage that would free up space in the back of the FJ. It wasn't her skin the vet was concerned about but her loss of weight in the last 9-10 months of 12-13 lbs and 7 of those lost were after April. She wanted me to keep Heidi at home to observe for 30 days. The blood tests showed nothing was wrong. Was it stress?





During that first week of waiting I came down with some severe off and on tooth/jaw pain, that later resulted in a root canal and a crown. Also forest fires started around that time at Glacier NP, the place we were heading. After that the whole west, including Seattle was facing 100° temps on a daily basis. Needless to say, my urge to travel in August disappeared, the AC was feeling pretty good here in "the tropics" ... the hounds had no complaints.

I also found during the month of June and early July as I was completing my house "to do" list, it was a house that I wanted to keep instead of sell and relocate. A four year watchful eye on real estate prices, plus email notices when houses were available in my price range also played a factor in the decision not to sell. I am at the point in my life I am use to not having a mortgage and don't really want one.

I lived 10 years across the street from the beach in southern California and another 10 years in the beautiful land of the San Juan Islands NW of Seattle. Add in a ski season in Breckenridge CO .. all those locations gave me a taste of living out west.

I miss the mountains so close to where I lived in Whidbey Island, along with the water just a few blocks away. I don't miss the rain though. There are many things I love about the west in Arizona, New Mexico, Utah and Colorado and that's why it's so tempting to move every year.

I still have plans to travel, even with 4 hounds this time. That traveling might not take place until the temps drop to the 30's here in "the tropics" and for sure it will not happen until Heidi is in better physical shape with her skin issues and gains her weight back.

2. WHY did you get another dog???   (very very popular question these past 18 days)

Before deciding to go get Stella I asked myself a million times WHY do I want another dog? Some friends said I was crazy ... others would say "two bloodhounds?" and then go into hysterical laughter.
  • She needed a home.
  • She needed someone that was familiar with the bloodhound breed ... I am.
  • I could guarantee that she would never end up in a shelter ... ever.
  • I had been wanting another hound for Sadie, one that was her size, her personality ... one basset was too small and the other too old to fill that position.
  • I know I can still travel with 4 hounds instead of 3. She loves to ride and is laid back.


3.  Will this blog ever be about RVing and Travel or is it going to be just about your hounds?
  • From Day 1 in October 2011 the blog has been about RVs and Hounds
  • I wrote about everything I found with different RVs I had looked at.
  • I wrote about the short trip we traveled in June 2015 and the trip in September 2013.
  • The current domain has been renewed and will stay the same.
  • The blog title will stay the same and the word RV will not be taken off.
  • When I am at home, the blog will be like it has been recently and in the past.
  • When I travel I will blog and post photos of those times, although it might depend on internet access for when I can publish those blog posts with photos.
I am sure I've lost a few readers recently when I started blogging about pulling weeds in the driveway and a lot of daily photos of the hounds that are taken no further than the backyard. I've gained some new regular readers because they love the hounds, their photos and even what they are doing every day. Some probably left when they thought I wasn't serious about traveling.

All of that is okay. I have also left blogs that left me bored or from a lack of interest.

I started this blog as a journal to document what I found in my RV and RV lifestyle research. I had no idea I would have people interested in that. I wasn't planning on a lot of traffic or a list of followers. It was basically started as a reference point for my fading memory. Later on I could document my travels online instead of a hand written journal like I did in 1976 riding my bicycle cross country.

Over time I have built up a few informative posts about different RVs, and trailers I had looked at. I documented and photographed my repair on the Class C that was just sitting here in the backyard when oil started leaking like the fountain of youth.

After 4 years and 200,000 page views, which really isn't many compared to other bloggers, the #1 topic or subject searched and the largest number of visits to this blog are people looking for information on the Lil Snoozy Trailer that I almost bought in September of 2013. No other topic even comes a close second. That's another reason I keep the "RV" in the domain and blog title ... an RV reference.

I've spilled my guts at times about what I was thinking, thus sending some regular readers on a roller coaster of shock and awe .... with the number of times I had changed my mind about rigs or plans. In all of that rambling, a few have emailed thanking me for answering some questions they had. It's pure insanity but this blog has helped a few with information or photos of what they were looking for online.

A Breakfast Of Dirt

What Is That I Smell ... I Think I'll Go Roll In It


Summary

I'll continue to blog about what is happening at the time I am writing. Just like life, things are in constant change and so is the direction of any blog I guess. I really enjoy taking photos of things I am blogging about.

As far as traveling ... I think I have learned some of the following things during the last 4 years:
  • I like the "comforts" of home maybe more than the "hassles" of traveling. 
  • I like the planning and driving more than "sitting" somewhere. 
  • I love the scenery out west along with the Fall and Spring in "the tropics"
  • Long hot showers at home are better than a shower with a baby wipe or wash cloth.
  • Although the hounds most likely only want food, some activity and companionship with their owner.
    • They sure seem to enjoy laying on their couch or bed more than in a Class C or a tent. Who knows? Maybe they really don't care either way.
    • All I know, are the sounds I heard them making as we were driving up the driveway in June 2015 after traveling for only a week. 
    • Or the way they acted when I opened the door of the house ... it sure did look like they did care where they were.
  • My hounds drink a LOT of water in a day. I'd have to carry a ton of it to boondock more than a week, including the water for me.
  • The urge to travel will never leave me alone.
    • With me it IS a seasonal urge.
    • It could turn into something longer or permanent in the future depending what life brings.
  • If I never traveled a single mile due to bad health ... I'd still be happy with the places I've been and the things I've done. If it ended tomorrow I'd have no regrets.
  • I don't expect any kind of large amounts of money to drop in my lap.
    • I can afford one or the other but not both.  (RV or House)
    • I can afford the house and a small trailer though.
  • Big rigs cost more to use and more to repair ... money that I don't have for that.
    • Unless I would sell my house.
  • I am a sports addict and love football and college basketball 
    • Those are not the reasons I am housebound ... really.
    • I could watch as many games with a portable Directv dish or even now on my computer, anywhere anytime when traveling.
  • I have wondered at times if all of this started because I read about Glenn (tosimplify.net) on Yahoo Business one Friday at work when I was bored out of my mind. 
    • Was "dreaming" of traveling full-time just a way of escaping a job that I was beginning to dislike more and more each day?
I'm done for today. This is too long but should give those that asked questions some answers, those that were wondering some answers and some a confirmation of what they were thinking.

Now, to the internet to find the easiest way to get that smell off of Sadie or what to bathe her in that will work .... she simply stinks right now!!!  LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment