September 14, 2015

They Sprinted Out The Door & The Day Was On

I uploaded all of the photos I took of their play session today to my flickr account. Let me know if this link does not work for you. All settings are public so you shouldn't need a flickr account to see the album ... Here is the link to all 58 photos: Bloodhound Play

The very first trip this morning in the dark was short, they were back inside after a quick trip. Once it was daybreak and there was sun shining into the house, Sadie was at my computer desk to let me know she was ready to go out, as well as Stella. This normally takes place with me getting up to get a 2nd cup of coffee but I had not started the coffee yet.

As soon as the door opened, the bloodhounds sprinted outside and were playing by the time they were outside the carport. Running, sprinting in the yard and field. It was amazing to see because Sadie had not had any activity like that in 7 years ... only the first few weeks she was here as a 12 week old puppy when Winston would play with her.




This is one of the things I was hoping to provide for Sadie when I brought Stella home. I wanted a hound that was her size that she could run with, to wrestle with. Winston has become to old to play much and Heidi has always stopped playing once Sadie joined her fun. Sadie was just too big for Heidi to play with.

I knew that Sadie needed someone besides me to be a dog with. There were too many times she would come to me and drop a bone or ball to let me know it was time for a game of fetch. Those games still go on inside and out with me and her but I can tell she enjoys having another bloodhound around.

What shocked me was Sadie rolling all over her back in the wet field, then getting up and sprinting after Stella through the field and yard. She had ran like that very few times in the seven years I've had her.












The play session ended with a slight collision, where Stella was running full speed and caught Sadie in the lip as she bumped her. Of course like any good bloodhound, she stopped to check Sadie out when she heard Sadie's yelp. You can see Sadie licking her nose which was the point of contact.


There have been no fights over Sadie's favorite bone but this has been the feature of the day when they have been inside the house whenever they are not sleeping. It's one of the bones that has lasted the longest and just today they were able to chew off one of the four tips. It's made of very hard rubber and has been indestructible for the past two years.


Once one of the hounds will get up to follow me, get water or just walk away from the bone, the other bloodhound will jump in and take that bone away immediately. There are 4 different bones sitting with photo view they could use but of course ... they want the same one.

Heidi has been outside a couple times and seems to have had a pretty energetic day. She started barking for food at 10:15am, that's 3 hours too early. She is currently sleeping with Sadie on their living room blanket. Winston thought he might join the bloodhounds playing this morning but figured out real quick they were too big and too strong for him ... he moved over to the warm concrete and sat in the sun for a while.






I missed some good photos because my Nikon D3200 would not focus automatically when I was trying to take a photo. It has been working intermittent recently, even with different lenses. I've tried turning the camera on and off, exchanging lenses, or taking a lens on and off ... sometimes it will work after that, sometimes not.

I'm not sure about my camera. About the time I think it's time to take it in for repair, it will start working flawlessly. With the recent repair work done earlier in the summer, this camera has turned into a big disappointment. I see from reading Nikon forums my issues seem to be the norm for the Nikon D3200. When it works, it's fantastic.

It's another beautiful day today here in "the tropics", with a lot of blue skies and sunshine. There are two more NFL games on the tv schedule tonight ... then a couple of nights off before we start the college this weekend. I may need a pre-game siesta to make it through both games tonight.

That's it for today ... enjoy the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment