March 26, 2016

Heidi Makes It Outside Today

After a late finish of college basketball, past midnight, the hounds and I woke up to temperatures near freezing. I am still standing by my "winter is over" announcement of a few weeks ago.

You can see the yard and field is not only getting very green with the recent rain, but heavy frost this morning. Sadie and Stella were not out much longer than to sniff a couple areas, dump their tanks and head back into the house for that morning nap.

By noon, the temps were nice enough for Heidi to make her grand entrance outside. As the weather gets warmer she will come outside more often and stay longer. Her skin is still looking fairly good but found out this past week that her skin breaks out with peanut butter and strangely enough ... carrots.

About 9 days ago I started her on a no grain, venison, lamb meal, no potatoes blend of kibble. Last year the vet recommended duck or venison as her protein source. I don't know why I still look at different foods, she has eaten all kinds and her skin basically stays about the same. Anyway she enjoyed checking out the driveway today.





Sadie let me know the field was dry enough for a walk. We thought the chance of deer two days in a row were slim. Plus I was hearing heavy machinery in the field behind us where the deer were yesterday ... doing some logging. We headed out leash free, the 200mm lens on the camera while Heidi stayed back to lay in the sunshine.




It wasn't soon after we started that Stella found something that interested her so much she wouldn't leave. Once she saw that Sadie and I had made the first turn she decided she might want to catch up to us.






She finally caught Sadie but stayed near me on the path for most of the way to what I call the half way point of the walk, where we turn and head home.


Both of them decided to see what I would do if they hung back and ignored me calling their name. Once they saw that I was going to keep walking, they started jogging toward me. I really think that both hounds like going at their own pace, hanging behind then and getting in some good runs ... it's good exercise for them.






Upon our return Sadie and Heidi checked out each other, neither nose was sunburn after today.


I might go out and get a little fence repair done this afternoon. Only two NCAA basketball games tonight and tomorrow, so I will tune into those. My book reading has taken a backseat recently. For some reason I don't have the same urge to read that I had last month. It is just too quiet today.

Not much going on today here in 'the tropics' of Southern Indiana.



No comments:

Post a Comment