May 31, 2016

The Hounds Were Too Quiet Yesterday

Weather wise it could not have been a more beautiful day with temps in the mid 80's and humidity only at 45%. The skies were bluer than blue.

Each of the hounds picked out their favorite sleeping spots and slept their day away. As long as they had their two meals, a walk and trips outside to break up the day ... they were happy. Yet they seemed quieter than normal today and that says something because they are quiet every day.


With the heat shining above the field was really wet this morning, it took a while before "scratching Stella" or Sadie had a desire to out into the tall grass.



About the time we came inside I glanced out the window in time to get another photo of a different farmer ... working as usual. I am not sure where he came from but he had highway traffic backed up for quite a ways and nowhere to pull off to the side.


After lunch Sadie was pretty sure it was dry enough for their walk. I thought Heidi was going with us today but as I mentioned the word "walk" she took off in the opposite direction.



Same angle as Sunday of the field after the storm but Monday it was much nicer.


I didn't realized until I started the walk just how wet the field was going to be, especially in the shaded areas.  It was almost noon when we did this but evidently that wasn't late enough. Legs and feet were soaked just as I started.





The wet grass didn't bother the hounds though. They were thrilled to be walking so I decided I'd let them be on their own, go anywhere they wanted at their own pace. I did not call their names at any time.




Sadie was pretty excited today over in Stella's area of the field ... that far right corner. She didn't stay long though before she came running to me.



Stella on the other hand had a lot of catching up to do over there, since I had not let her in that area in almost a week. I would keep calling her this past week to keep her fairly close to me.



When I turned around to look for Stella I didn't expect to see this ... but she was sprinting through the tall grass to catch up with us.



A good example of what the warm sky looked like today.


With the wind and rain Sunday afternoon you could barely see the worn path we take but it was there.




When we got back to the yard it looked like Heidi had been spending her time in the sun. Sadie went running over to her right away to make sure she was okay. Stella was nowhere in sight.


As I as looking for Stella out in the field she came out of the tall grass over on the north side of the yard. She had taken her own way home.



On a warm day like this, that shaded area looks pretty nice.


Once Sadie found out that Heidi was okay, she found the perfect spot to scratch her back. Stella only got in the way.




Heidi was happy I was back. She headed for the door and once inside sprinted for the couch.


Me?  I took off my wet shoes, squeezed the water out of my socks and let them dry under the sun.


It was a nice day yesterday here in "the tropics" of Southern Indiana.

No comments:

Post a Comment